Sunday, December 17, 2006

2720 teabags vs. daytime TV



I could well become a professional jet setter in 2007.

So far in the line up : 3 weddings.
Any of them within dead cheap Easy Jet distance ?
Not a chance, this is serious business : Melbourne,
Cape Town,
Cochabamba (yes Bolivia, not some Mallorja Spanish fun land park).

You would think I am, as we speak, already all geared up with bright bikinis and baby beachtowel, tanning gel and coconut body lotion packed up in my backpack (sorry I meant Samsonite Deluxe here).

Well I'll have the hand luggage version of the Samsonite instead. My long haul flight will be called Eurostar with crazy smelly garlic grumpy Frenchmen as my greeting comittee.

For my friends, this is it :
I have finally paid my final respects to good ol' corporate world.

2720 teabags,
4080 toilet breaks,
208 timesheet completions,
one trillion space bar hits, for each one a loud and continental "et merdeuh !" swearword
only four bosses (not bad given the fast turnover of managers these days)
3 lamp bulb changes,

and lots of mates to go out boozin' with :















and this is it : I am officially now self employed.

This does not mean the boozing stops,
yet,

my new mates are called :
cashflow, tax return forms, hrmc.gov.uk, Stamford street inland revenue office (the telephone booths are worth having a glance at), off peak return to London terminals train ticket, daytime TV and nightime internet.

More self employed reality ?
Daytime south east London supermarket. But we'll come back to that later on.

So, what's changed then ?
Not much apart dangerous daydreaming and the certainty that looking at my last payslip will give me a good kick to go out there and find business in the fear of having to live on Tesco's own label 30p cans.
That and the fact that I have been up til 2 am every night since I returned my work laptop to their corporate owners.

Now, despite all that, I still see some of the positive enligthening energy of "new self employed me" glowing and spreading around with great productivity : Graham, my dearest flatlmate, enthusiastically transported by that self employed new me, has finally scrubbed the bathroom from A to Z, we even have a brand new ebayed shower curtain.
Well, OK, fair enough, Graham has been self employed for the last 6 months.












Welcome to the daytime boredom Kingdom !


Soundtack for tonight : "Daytime robbery" Morcheeba

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home