Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Springtime frog thoughts

Life can throw you a few upper cuts sometimes, hence a little break...Thank God and thank life, we react and here we are again up on our feet. Maybe that's what it's all about ? (Yes, not just about a big blast of stones aaaages ago, one like you've never seen or some tall skinny old bearded bloke who decided one day that planet earth could be a cool place to play with his fleshandbones made playmobiles. But, hang on, I'm getting lost here : was it the same old bloke who also create The universe ? Alimighty me, he must have had shitloads of Playmobile dudes to play with !)

So, what's up London ?

Well, "nothing much", still big and crowded and you'll never believe me but the Circle Line is still suspended for engineering works every time I seem to try and use it at weekends. Mind you, who needs to go to King's road on a saturday afternoon when Oxford street is "Europe's longuest shopping street"? Still can't believe how lucky we are in London !
Please note : the Circle line is suspended, not shut down. Surely this has something to do with the fact that it all works perfectly well back on monday morning when London commutes...not ?

Enough cynism for good news there is : the Brits have been behaving.

I'm not just saying because Posh and Becks only asked a million francs (ok hundred thousand pounds) to their guests attending their rainy - hey-the-worldcup-is-on-its-way-let's-remind-people-we-are-the-coolest-couple-in-da-place- spring bash. Well, this is only Hertfordshire, which, sorry folks, nobody has ever heard of on the continent, let alone other continents (there are 5...of which we still are not sure which one Great Britain belongs to).

But also because only one PM has been having a sleazy affair with his PA. Mind you, if not for the sleaziness of it all, why bother ?

On a personal note, I owe much respect to my fellow passengers on that Circle line train (which was neither suspended, shut down, sleeping nor having a fag at Gloucester road station) that day when I got struck by a hick-ups attack.
Whilst I was trying to save my poor self from total utter shame, laughing at myself and looking around for some complacent and not so complacent fool, everyone managed to keep on pretending being fascinated by that "Sleeping parents kill 300 babies each year" Metro title. No doubt that between me and the Sleeping parents breaking news, the toddlers were winning by far!
So thank you Metro editors for serving us readable crap every morning, I owe you some dignity.

Last but not least, beetles are having sex on the platform every morning so I guess this is definitely springtime. That and our winter coat, I know, I know. My German gran, who bless her, has known and been to Berlin during the swinging 20s, says it has not been that cold since her youth during the third Reich. If I had to choose I think I'd rather have it cold then.
Back to the bugs, apart from the fact that I had never conceived beetles doing it, one has to wonder : who is who. Well you see with pigeons for instance it's quite straightforward : as much as they annoy us, the male can be spotted straight away for he is the silliest one of the two pretending he's a peacock singing out of tune Pavarotti lovesongs. With those bugs...well they're all cute and red. Could it be that beetles are gay ? After all, they say geese are.

So long then !

soundtrack tonight : Paolo Conte