Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Executive bullies

When reading the Idler column in the Weekend Guardian on Saturday, I really wonder who can still trully believe work means emancipation and "being a grown up".
If you carefully read through the lines, we've all had enough but are too polite and tied up to our several zeros salaries to speak up and bugger off from it all.

This morning, as I had just touched my precious Oyster card (£99 only !) on the gates at London Victoria station, I bumped into my flatmate. She was livid. Had walked around the block 10 times before realising that she could not make one more day at work.
She just could not. I don't know if she will tomorrow but what I know for sure is that I certainly did not have an enlightening day at work, which means I haven't even been able to make it up for it.

Even worse, I came home with virgin island and freelancing in south of France plans.
Helpful. Very.

The truth is I believe I am good at my job, I even like most of it, despite ever changing weather clients. But compulsory appraisals processes and managers under pressure make you believe you are
#not good enough and never will be despite trying hard
#good enough but have no recognition (despite trying hard then again)
#nor good nor bad since no one cares (at this stage better not try hard any longer)

It sounds to me we have all become executive bullies.
Sad thing is that robots or aliens still don't rule the world yet, so no excuses really as we are inflicting this executive pain to ourselves !

Maybe if each of us got stuck in a lift for 3 hours with our boss (precisely the one always saying no to each idea we submit) in a career's time and discovered that we both got sent off school for chewing noisy bubble gums in biology class in 5th grade, then work would be more of a human place ?
It woul at least look less like one big elementary school playground.

Soundtrack for this evening : Chostakovitch, Piano concerto Nr 2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home